Saturday, November 27, 2021

My Favorite Christmas Tree

  
  So much fun stuff has been happening lately that I need to blog about: Mrs. Patty/GiGi (Michael's mom), and one of my best friends, Alex, came to visit before Thanksgiving. Oh, and I want to make a detailed post about Emma's hip spica cast and things we have learned from it. We had a great Thanksgiving- actually on Thanksgiving Day!-, which was my first time cooking everything, so I need to post about that! (I never even posted about our 2020 "Thanksgiving Friday" in our Orlando house with my parents.) Last night we picked out our live tree and put up our Christmas decorations while listening to holiday music. That is what I am posting about now.

  Last year Michael bought a big, artificial tree with fake snow on it, but that is in storage right now while we wait for our house to be built, so we picked out a live tree from Home Depot last night. We haven't been bringing Emma's stroller when we go places, so I held the suction machine and Emma most of the time while Michael carried the 50 pound ventilator and battery. Although, I had to hold everything while we went to tell an employee which tree we wanted. 

 Since 95% of our Christmas decor is in storage (I brought a handful of my favorite house decorations), we also bought new tree decor and a couple special ornaments from Hobby Lobby. Yesterday Michael got three packs of white lights from Lowes, before deciding to get the tree that night. He was very back and forth about when to get the tree, but called me after he got his Covid booster shot (Moderna- I got my Pfizer booster last month) saying we could go get it once it got dark. And I'm glad we got it last night because today he is feeling very achy from the shot and came home early to take a nap. I didn't have any side effects with mine. I didn't even feel really tired the next day like we did after our original shots.

   I made sure to bring our metal tree stand to the apartment too when we moved, but last night we searched all the closets in the apartment, as well as under the bed, and I guess while unpacking in September, we ended up taking the stand back to the storage unit with some other things that got mixed up in the move -things that should have been put into storage by the movers to begin with. So we picked up a plastic tree stand while we were at Home Depot. 

 

 
 
 

  It's so cute when Emma barely touches the tree and then pulls her hand away really fast, and when she swipes the ornaments to watch them swing back and forth. I absolutely LOVE how our tree was decorated this year. Normally I am not a fan of brown decorations, but he insisted on the pinecone ornaments, and I picked out the big wooden bead garland after we looked up some "rustic Christmas decor" photos on Pinterest. However, I think it turned out sooo pretty and kept telling Michael several times how great it looked! Then for some reason, last night I had a dream that he took the whole tree down because he thought I said I didn't like it!! What!? Ha ha. 


  We baked a frozen apple crumble pie and enjoyed that while finishing an old episode of Fox's "911 Lone Star", and then we watched a documentary on Hulu called "Dear Santa" about how kids have been writing to Santa for over 100 years and now, thanks to the organization Operation Santa, lots of kids get some of the presents they ask for. Michael joked that we should write a letter to Santa asking for all of Emma's medical supplies, because after over two months of living here, we are still having trouble finding companies that will give us the supplies we need. And when a new company does send up a few items, for some reason they keep sending it to our old house. Luckily the girl that bought it has been super sweet and mails us the supplies. We pay her back for shipping, of course, plus a little extra for the inconvenience.

  One tradition I started on my own, every Christmas Eve, is to lay by the tree with all the house lights off -so only the tree lights are on- and listen to Lea Michele's 2010 version of "O Holy Night". It is sooo beautiful that I usually end up listening to it two or three times in a row. Now I make Emma lay on the floor with me and we hold hands. Or I attempt to hold her hand while she does what she wants. This year I may need to do this on the night before we go back to Delaware to get her casts taken off, because once they are off, I'm sure she won't want to keep laying on her back like she has been for the most of the past five weeks! 

  It is early for us to already have any presents under the tree, but in this apartment we have limited hiding spots for the presents, so under the tree is the best place to put them! And no, us using long socks instead of stockings is not a joke- at least not this year. Again, with our things being in storage, we were not about to waste $40+ just for stockings, so Michael said I could use some of my socks like in pioneer times. In order they are for Michael, me, Emma, and Sasha. Can you see the girl on my blue sock is texting? On the other sock- not pictured- she is falling into a manhole! Hahaha! My mom got me those socks.We'll just have to fill them with candy this year since not much else will fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment