Saturday, July 23, 2022

Fountains of Youths

   This year Emma and I had a combo birthday party at The Fountains resort in Orlando, on my birthday- Saturday, June 11th. We drove up for the day because my parents were staying there over the weekend and it was a much nicer, more spacious place to celebrate compared to our tiny 1-bedroom apartment that doesn't even fit a couch (we have 2 comfy chairs). Michael's mom mailed down gifts for me and Emma, which arrived perfectly on time- the day before, so we were able to bring them all with us, beautifully filling up the front passenger seat! 

A present that Emma wrapped for me the day before our party.
I wonder what it could be. Gold and rose quartz hexagon studs, perhaps? :)

 

   I was so happy that one of my best friends, Alana, was able to come, and that her husband, Cody, and their two young sons were able to join as well! Her older boy kept touching all of the presents and asking if he could open one -haha- and the younger one ran around the rooms, being silly. I had four other friends who were planning to come, but two of them tested positive for Covid the day before, and the other two had recently been sick. I was also hoping my other best friend, Lindsey, could come with her family. She has three boys and I wanted more kids there for Emma, since it was her party too. But they were on a six-week cross country RV road trip during that time!! Excused. :)

   Michael, Emma and I arrived at the resort at 10:30am and Alana arrived shortly after. I was excited to see how nicely my mom had decorated the kitchen and living room. Once we were situated, we all put on our bathing suits and headed to the pool! Alana's kids had a great time in the kid area and she told me that she saw another little girl with a trach. Ooooh! Michael and I enjoy lounging in as much shade as we can find and I loved when Emma laid back on my legs, so comfy. Basking in the sun.

  On our way back in to the room, Michael and I ran into the family with the daughter with the trach. I'm bummed now that I don't remember her name. And I don't know what the condition is called, but the dad said her stomach was growing on the outside of her body, so she always had to have something covering it up to keep the area clean.

Playing with Grandpa

   My parents had ordered us a really delicious meat lovers pizza from the cafe in the main building, then Emma opened all of her presents. She got lots of good stuff, but her favorites were a Rubber Ducky music book from her cousins, Peyton and Helena. And she loves the Paw Patrol book that Michael got her, even though she's never seen the show, because it plays music and talks to her. My favorite line is, "The Superkitties make me suuuper sneezy!" 

   One day, a few weeks after her birthday, I was telling Michael about that line and he hadn't heard it. I couldn't figure out how to get the book to say it even though I was on the page with the Superkitties picture. Then Emma pressed a button three times that I didn't even know was a button, and the book said the line! She knew what I wanted and how to get it for me. So smart!! "Our SuperEmma is a suuuper genius!"

She's been favoring this elephant a lot this week and it has cute songs.
I got her this from either TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

   She has another favorite present, but she opened it the next day since it was too big to bring in the car. Stay tuned! After Emma's presents we had my birthday cake, which my mom ordered from Publix. It was the cookies and cream mousse cake. I don't think I have ever had it before, but it was really good, especially with the vanilla ice cream my mom also had. I got sung to twice because the first time my mom wasn't recording it on her phone. Haha!

   I told my mom that it didn't really feel like my birthday because she didn't play my Captain Zoom song that she has played EVERY other year! She even played it one morning when I had a sleepover with my friends at my parents' house sometime during college. Well, thank goodness YouTube was invented because I found my song on there- specifically with my name and listened to it that night before bed. Hopefully the link never changes.

   They don't have an Emma version of Captain Zoom, but I found >> this song for her.

   After cake, I went with Alana and her family to the arcade. Michael and Emma stayed with my parents. We played Skeeball and lots of "shooting for points" games, and I got to hold Alana's younger son in my lap while we watched her play the Jurassic World game a bunch of times. It's her favorite! They left on the walk back because the boys were getting really tired, but I am so glad they were able to come out and celebrate with us! Thank you, thank you!!

   Emma was zonked out on the couch when I got back. We did one of her nebulizer treatments and then got ready to go to our family dinner at The Melting Pot. I had never been there before and wanted to go somewhere fancy. I originally wanted to eat somewhere at Disney Springs, but there were no tables available a month in advance for how many people were supposed to be coming. However, by the end of dinner, Michael and I decided that The Melting Pot was a perfect place for only four people (and a big girl in her stroller). The employees -and my parents!- did a great job making our night special. I opened my lovely gifts when we got back, including pretty jewelry, spa face masks, DIY soaps and bath bombs, as well as much needed mini Polaroid film. Then Michael drove us home into the night.

  The next day, Sunday, June 12th, was officially Emma's birthday and we did a couple more things for her. We opened the big present that was still at our apartment from Michael's Aunt Debbie- she always sends big, wonderful gifts for Emma! And we sang Happy Birthday to her with the big Publix cupcake that my mom got for her. We weren't able to light it, even with the oxygen turned off, because our lighters were in storage and we didn't realize it. Oh well, I don't know if she could blow out a candle anyway. I asked my mom for a big cupcake so Emma could smash her hand into it, but she doesn't like sticky or wet things being on her fingers. So I may -or may not?- have grabbed her hand and smashed it in the frosting and sprinkles myself.

Sasha happy to help clean up the frosting!

   Emma loves her big present from Aunt Debbie: a Touch and Learn Activity Desk. I call it her Music Jammer table. Seeing her sit on that little stool *like a big girl* is so adorable- and great for her core work too! Every morning, the first thing she wants is to be sprinted, held, and sat at her desk. One thing I really like about it is that it came with two double-sided activity sheets.. but I accidentally kicked one under the dresser so now we'll have to wait until October when we move to get it! And you can buy more/ different themed activity pages to go with it. (Pre-Kindergarden Bundle Expansion pack.) A terrific idea for Christmas- don't let me forget it.

The other side of the music activity sheet is learning body parts and clothes.

   This year, I posted on Facebook again about Emma's birthday and asked if anyone wanted to send her a card to our apartment. Then I would message them with our current address. She got 11 cards! Allie, one of our primordial dwarf friends, also sent her a sheet of stickers in a clear bag. And man, oh man, Emma LOVES those stickers. I have literally seen her holding those stickers in her sleep at night. The bag makes this delightful crinkle sound when she holds it and she loves to hold and play with anything that makes a crinkle sound, including water bottles when you drink the last bit and suck some of the air out of it. The second she hears anything like that, her hand shoots up and her fingers move around, signaling that she wants to hold it. Lately I have started saying, "Kiss first", before giving her anything she wants and that has been working out great! I get so many drooly tooth kisses now (she basically presses her teeth against our cheek with her mouth open- but it counts)! :)

Sleeping with the stickers Allie gave her.
Handing me the label that she peeled off. Her favorite task!
She actually gets upset if she isn't able to peel it off.

Whoa!! Activity table + stickers = Double the fun!!
Also, please notice her pretty hair braids that I did.

  Michael says I jinx us when I say things like this, but I sure hope that the world is much safer and healthier next summer so we can throw Emma a big shindig for her 6th birthday- in our BRAND. NEW. HOUSE! Perhaps we could do the great "EmmyLuau" theme that Michael mentions every year (get it? Emmylou-ow) and I go, "Bah!" then come up with a better idea, haha! And let it be known that Meredith, Emma's occupational therapist, is number one on the guest list! Numbers two through twelve are the 11 people who weren't able to come to the Fountains. Also, our parents. :)

  Jinx shminx. "I'm not superstitious.. but I am a little stitious."

No comments:

Post a Comment