Sunday, June 16, 2019

Birthday Party Fun

   This year Michael thought that my unicorn theme idea for Emma's 2nd birthday was acceptable. I suggested it last year, but much of the second half of Emma's first year had to do with the movie Moana and the soundtrack that soothed her in the NICU, "dancing" and kicking her feet to the song "You're Welcome", and the Moana doll that one of the nurses got for her. So that was a good idea and I loved making her Moana cake myself.
  We got a lot of the decorations and paper for the invitations from Hobby Lobby and party city. I found the unicorn balloons at Target. It was hard controlling myself any time I saw something about unicorns, I thought, "I have to get this!" but then had to remind myself that we're on a budget and I didn't need to waste money on stuff that would only be used to decorate the house for one day. Last summer, since Emma had only been home from the hospital for about six weeks before her birthday, we kept it to close family ~ my parents, Michael's mom and grandma. This year we were able to invite more people, including some friends and three of Emma's NICU nurses! Michael's friend and co-worker, Brian, made her rock/geode/crystal cake.
  An hour into the party, I took everyone's lunch order and Michael cooked hamburgers and hotdogs. We also had chips, dip, and a veggie tray set out at 1pm when people arrived. At 3pm we opened gifts and everyone laughed when Emma kept throwing her birthday cards around. I loved that several people got her unicorn birthday cards, even without knowing the theme! One birthday gift we opened after the party was a wagon from Michael's mom. We are really looking forward to getting that put together and later being able to use that with Emma when the weather cools off.
  Enjoy the party pictures:
   Modeling the unicorn headbands that my mom bought for the party! The one Emma is wearing in this picture even lights up and changes color in the horn.
    Emma loved playing with Mrs. Nina, who kept spinning the tutrtle toy in front of her which made Emma laugh and laugh so big, while also dancing around in her "chair"! Mrs. Nina is also the one who has come over for "music therapy" a couple times, but we need to get another session scheduled.
Getting love and snuggles from Ms. Billie, who was her primary NICU night nurse.
    I loved that Michael kept the tiny party hat on all day!
 Mrs. Kim's turn for cuddles! And then Ms. Lori (below) getting her hugs in. They were both her primary NICU nurses during the day.
    My friends Jackie and Peter, who are engaged! Jackie had not seen Emma since she was a few months old in the NICU. So glad they were able to come and visit for a couple hours.
 Michael's grandma, NaNa who is 91 this year, is quite the energetic social butterfly and loved getting to meet and talk with everyone, telling her favorite stories of when Michael was little.
    Time to open all the presents!! Emma got lots of clothes and books, and a huge bubble machine. Plus some Huggies diapers and Water wipes, which I did ask for. I always love not having to buy those ourselves. Michael and I got her a baby pool and a new bathing suit, but haven't been able to use it yet. (It's been in the high 90's lately!! Not very safe for a trach baby with dwarfism, as she is prone to overheating faster than usual.) She's not big into ripping the wrapping off her presents yet, so I got to do that! Her favorite part right now is crinkling and playing with the tissue paper. :)
   Her very own unicorn rocking horse, from Michael's aunt, who also did not know the party was going to be unicorn themed. It all worked out so perfectly! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment